These Particular FGK3s are Fun and Exciting!

Anything is possible if you believe in yourself. I am believing in these FKG3s and exploring the possibilities of foreground and background pass through while luma keying. Possibilities that do not conform to background or foreground pass through have been marked with question marks, because good questions are the secret to the universe.

Visual Cortex Ramp and Key Reference:

• VC H+V Ramp > VC Ch. B > OUT

• VC H+V Ramp > VC Key+ > OUT
    (VC Crossfader Sweep)

wuvu-fkg3-vc-keysweep

• VC H+V Ramp > VC Key- > OUT
    (VC Crossfader Sweep)

wuvu-fkg3-vc-keysweepneg

The following was completed with FKG3, SN#0194

• VC Input Decoder > FKG3 > VC Ch. A > OUT
    (FKG3 FG/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 0 = FG PASS)

(FKG3 Negative/FG/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 0 = BG PASS)

Key:

• VC H+V Ramp > FKG3 Key > OUT
    (FKG3 Key/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 0 = ???)

From configuration above:

• Softness 0, Threshold 0-100 Sweep,

2022-06-01 15-12-10

• Threshold 0, Softness 0-100 Sweep,

2022-06-01 15-07-32

(FKG3 Key/Luma/Threshold 100/Softness 0 = BG PASS)

(FKG3 Key/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 100 = BG PASS)

Negative/Key:

(FKG3 Negative/Key/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 0 = ???)

2022-06-01 15-13-39

2022-06-01 15-09-44

(FKG3 Negative/Key/Luma/Threshold 100/Softness 0 = FG PASS)

(FKG3 Negative/Key/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 100 = ???)

The following was completed with FKG3, SN#0080

(FKG3 FG/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 0 = FG PASS)

(FKG3 Negative/FG/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 0 = BG PASS)

Key:

2022-06-01 15-48-26

2022-06-01 15-49-28

(FKG3 Key/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 100 = ???)

Negative Key:

2022-06-01 15-54-47

2022-06-01 15-55-27

Following tests completed with FKG3, SN#0079

(FKG3 FG/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 0 = ???)

(FKG3 Negative/FG/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 0 = ???)

Key:

2022-06-01 15-31-38

2022-06-01 15-33-53

(FKG3 Key/Luma/Threshold 0/Softness 100 = ???)

Negative/Key:

2022-06-01 15-38-53

2022-06-01 15-39-36

TLDR:

The following reference presents the output of three FKG3s. The output of each FKG3 is arranged by column. Each line represents a configuration that approximates background or foreground pass through. You may notice that the output from identical configurations of different modules is different.

5 Likes

I’m a tiny bit confused, is this thread showing difference between individual FGK3 units? :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, this thread is celebrating the diversity of tolerance and softness behavior of three of the FKG3s in my system.

3 Likes

@7pip Thanks so much for documenting this for others with the same problem. Mine exhibit similar diverse behavior.

1 Like

I think we might say that others may have modules with similar character–who needs problems anyways?! Maybe we can all swap until we get modules with the type of character we want!

2 Likes

FKG #80 & FKG #194 look like they are within design tolerances.

FKG #79 looks like it is outside of tolerances.

The Softness control is going to have some variation at it’s extremes, especially 100% Softness. The important thing is that with Softness within the 0% to 90% range, you are able to do a complete sweep between BG & FG. Does that seem consistent with what you’re seeing?

2 Likes

I will test again because learning is fun!

2 Likes

@creatorlars in my case I am not able to so a full sweep with the softness pot.

A good question would be, at what point in the Softness knob’s range, are you able to sweep completely between FG/BG using the Threshold pot? I would expect at 100% soft, you would see some channel bleed – that’s perfectly normal. The module is more of a transition blend/mixer at very soft settings. Just dial in the response you like. At 0 to 50% soft (as the key edge gets harder), you should definitely be able to sweep between FG and BG without issues.

Intended usage technique: Start with Softness at 50%. Turn it up for softer, turn it down for harder. Dial in what you like to see.

3 Likes
  • VC > H+V Ramp

• VC > FKG3 > FG Pass
    (FKG3 Key/Luma)

• Softness 25%, Threshold 0-100-0 Sweep

2022-06-01 18-29-06

• Softness 50%, Threshold 0-100-0 Sweep

2022-06-01 18-31-58

• Softness 75%, Threshold 0-100-0 Sweep

2022-06-01 18-33-46

• Softness 100%, Threshold 0-100-0 Sweep

2022-06-01 18-35-40

Friends! We did it! There was never a problem at all, our beautiful FKG3s were just different! And look at how wonderful our differences can be. Thank you @creatorlars for all of this video friendship and learning!

6 Likes

What the heck is that flickering happening in “Peace Out”?

1 Like

2022-06-01 18-53-28

4 Likes

Looks like GIF encoding to me.

2 Likes

Friends, I would like to share some experiences with you. But first, here’s WUVU with breaking news!

Perfect Circuit is currently out of FKG3 stock! And we have it on good authority that this is indeed the case because we have attempted to fill the void in our life by buying all of these FKG3s and comparing their performance.”

(Only joking of course, we would never overnight multiple FKG3s or make comparisons of any sort! The only serious matter here is the void of life!)

With the news out of the way, we can move on to the Weather!

“Woovers it’s looking like blue skies, 100% humidity, and heavy mosquitoes! Yum! Now back to you and FKG3!”

“Thanks Weather! Hello, I am FKG3 #0194 and I would like there to be many like me but there I go making comparisons again!”

Sometimes comparisons are useful. But what is a comparison?

• A comparison as it was used circa 1500 meant to note the similarities and differences of…

Frabjous! With that out of the way we need not make a disclaimer that this post is by no means disparaging the wonderful nature of our differences but rather taking notice of these qualities that characterize us (and our FKG3s) as beautiful!

A baseline for your consideration:

• Here is an H. Ramp from Visual Cortex into the FG of FKG3 #0194. (Configuration of FKG3 #0194 and output appreciated below.)

(The Creator told me ‘pass through is achieved with switch in upwards position, source set to key, and empty key inputs.’ Stick around for my stream of consciousness, you might learn something!)

For my next trick, I am going to show you a 0-100-0% threshold sweep with switch in center position, and source set to FG! Yum!

2022-06-30 19-20-53

And for all the hecklers in the crowd who thought I might be a one trick pony, here is a 0-100-0% softness sweep from the same configuration! Delicious, maybe even better!

2022-06-30 19-22-12

But @7pip we have seen all of this before. What does it all mean?!

Fuck if I know! Or maybe, fuck if I knew!

Friends, I was once lost but now I am found because the Creator shared with me the good word of the RIGOL DS2102A Oscilloscope! And now I am here to share this grace with you:

2022-06-30 19-40-11

Mommy wow! I rescanned an oscilloscope now! (Holzer please notice me!)

The .gif above shows the behavior of trusty, crusty, never dusty FKG3 #0194. A more legible reference of the result of Softness adjustment at 75% can be appreciated below:

Although I would quite enjoy it, I won’t bore you with the incoherent result of what was in my coffee. Let’s jump cut to the same configuration and operation on FKG3 #0198. This one might be a stinker!

2022-06-30 19-48-32

The .gif above shows the alleged activity of perpetrator FKG3 #0198 caught in the act. It happens so fast you might have missed it. Below find a comparison between #0194 and #0198 and I will ask you one question, ‘Is one of these thems fucking around?’

I have asked a few people who are way smarter than me this same question. They said “yes” and “gamma issues.”

And now for a commercial break!

“Are you a reader? When is the last time you read a good book? If you are interested in thinking about your thinking, I must recommend Paul Klee’s The Thinking Eye. Take a trip with Paul way back to the Bauhaus. This can be hard to find in print but is available as .pdf if you look really, really hard for it on Google with a query similar to but not exactly like ‘Paul Klee Thinking Eye .pdf.’ Back to you WUVU!”

(WUVU is not affiliated with Paul, FKG3, or the knobs in this photo and as such claims no rights to or endorsements of the items pictured herein. I would have put more FKG3s in the photo if I could but my hands could only carry five to the kitchen, and the sun is setting now, and the temporospatial conditions of both combined with the limited surface area of this book complicated the matter.)

TLDR:

Here is a recollection of categories of experiences in a sample of FKG3s between #0000 and #0198. In each reference image, trusty, crusty, never dusty #0194 is presented top and yellow.

• Gamma Issue Experience:

• Incomplete Softness Range Experience:

• Gain Boost Experience:

It has been frabjous fun to go on this adventure with you. We all certainly need a little more levity in our life, and if we are going to do anything we might as well do it with panache!

Godspeed and Long Live LZX!

Below we appreciate the result of plugging ourselves into the oscilloscope, have a good one. I just can’t believe that I gave me my own finger!

wuvu-friendship-finger2
wuvu-friendship-finger

9 Likes

I wish all academic papers and datasheets were written like this :rofl:

7 Likes

I have experienced this exact same problem with multiple FGKs and I think it is valuable information to present to keep others from pulling their hair out with frustration due to extensive troubleshooting, starting from the ground up.

2 Likes

Friends! Today it is with great appreciation for fortune and mystery that I must update you with frabjous news!

“Perfect Circuit is still out of FKG3 stock!”

I received another pallet of FKG3s and found FKG3 #0193. As you may recall, trusty, crusty, never dusty FKG3 #0194 became the benchmark for our FKG3 experience. This numbered pair demonstrates similar capabilities, and thus I must present a new category of experience in a sample of FKG3s between #0000 and #0198.

TLDR:

• These Do The Same Thing Experience

PS. If you are a fan of the Gamma Issue Experience, Incomplete Softness Range Experience, or Gain Boost Experience and are looking to house more FKG3s please send me a message I do not need this many I purchased them without considering the responsibilities of FKG3 ownership and I really need to contact my credit card company and have them block certain types of transactions furthermore I don’t know why I did this I seem to fixate on things and then I can’t stop thinking about them until I find some sort of release and my doctor has asked me, ‘@7pip why does it always have to go to that level?’ and I have tried to get him to tell me what he means but he always says, ‘that is the sound of one hand clapping’ and I am worried that he doesn’t understand this is just the way I am. Thank you, and have a good one!

PSS. If you have FKG #0192 we should talk, it would be wonderful to keep the family together. I will make this a quite favorable trade for you.

PSSS. If you have made it this far you deserve a reward! Here is a .gif of FGK3 #0193 in action. Delicious softness adjustment and BG pass through with softness at 100%, oh my!

2022-07-02 16-56-02

4 Likes

did you buy them all again?

1 Like