TBC2 (aka : Bell Tower)

@creatorlars I know that official specs won’t drop until Knobcon, but, since you opened the forum to questions… I was wondering what the best, most ideal, video file would be for the TBC2 input… 720p, 1080i, exclusively 480 or 576?
I want to get some files prepped ahead of time!!

Uncompressed native RGB formats in whatever the native format for your capture interface is (Blackmagic, etc) are likely always going to look superior to anything else. We won’t be discussing video resolutions outside 480i/576i until we get to some milestones. The hardware (meaning the selection of video encoder/decoder parts used in the assembly) is capable of everything up to 1080i/p on the DVI output and analog component outputs.

But as much as I’d like to tell you it has a gorgeous 1080p upscaling algorithm on the DVI output, if we hit a processing ceiling during implementing the larger resolutions, we will likely prioritize the quality and color depth of the signal path over the resolution of the output video. This has always been the priority for us – a high end SD instrument over a budget HD instrument, if it comes down to a trade off. The core blocks are all in place and performing beautifully though, and there’s bandwidth to spare… so the next few weeks we’ll find out just how far we can push it.

7 Likes

Will the tbc could be used to interface special stage world core with lzx system ?

1 Like

Support for 240p/288p for World Core as well as vintage game systems (SNES, NES, etc) is definitely on the development list, we’re just going to have to see what kind of behavior we get with these formats out of the decoder parts we’ve selected. So for right now, we can promise 480i/576i, and we’ll announce support for other formats (progressive SD, HD downscaling, etc) when we can confirm them on the hardware.

3 Likes

Any experiments with higher resolutions? If it could handle 1080p, then four systems could handle a quadsplit 4K feed, run effects and then convert back to a 4K signal.

1 Like

I certainly enjoy the idea of a combinatory approach at the output…

I noticed there is a midi input on tbc2. What can you disclose about this modules midi implementation?

1 Like

Fantastic news about 240/288p! I’ve been struggling to get the Ming to work with the visual cortex and Pre-ordered the TBC2 as a hail mary. I probably should have read this sooner, since i’ve been stressing over weather that was the right decision. Sounds like it was!

3 Likes

TBC2 and Memory Palace are both “Orion Class III” modules, which means they use the Zynq SoC and similar set of peripherals (SD card, USB, OLED display, MIDI, etc.) These modules will run a similar embedded “OS” that controls common peripherals and standards for the user interface, parameter mapping, etc. That’s a work in progress that will be growing over the next several months as we release firmware updates. A common feature though, will be MIDI input mapping capabilities of any internal parameters of the application and RTL running on the Zynq (which is the portion that is different between memory palace and TBC2.) So the intention for the MIDI is more as a common peripheral for all of these Orion3 modules, and you will be able to map MIDI controls to any of TBC2’s internal settings. All of this will be focused on options for tweaking input mode options in TBC2’s case, but we will see the parameter list grow over time.

4 Likes

Regarding 1080p, I can’t guarantee that yet. We’ll just have to see. Likely case is yes, though. We’re about to build the first version of the production PCBs after a ton of work on the form factor over the Summer. Getting this monster in 16HP has been insanely difficult (it’s 4 stacked boards, but still < 42mm clearance!)

4 Likes

@creatorlars , do you foresee the possibility of MIDI Control for fast switching on one of the existing or a forthcoming Orion Class III modules ala the Visionary Octal Video Quantizer & Sequencer?

1 Like

If it is a feature of the module, it will be controllable via MIDI mapping.

MIDI is not nearly fast or synchronous enough for image rate modulation like the 8 Stage Quantizer/Sequencer. Fortress & Topogram are great options (and different flavors!) if you want that kind of look. For sequential sampling and playback, that will be a function of the sampling module we’ll be developing next year.

One exciting detail I’ll share is that the same “image sequence/stills loader” object in Memory Palace will be accessible as an output source for either channel in TBC2. That will all be MIDI controllable. But it will not be able to stream video to and from an SD card the way the sampler module will.

The input mux will be MIDI controllable in TBC2, so you could do some frame rate sequencing between the two input sources (and internal stills.)

7 Likes

This is going to be a great year!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks Lars
This is exciting!

2 Likes