Rutt-Etra style scan processing with Gen3 modules

I presume you got this module list from Lars’s post here: A patch for Rutt-Etra style scan processing with an XY display

In the context of Rutt-Etra scan processing, it’s probably better not to look for replacements for the modules, but of the functions they provide in the scan processing workflow. For instance, in the patch, Bridge is being used as two separate functions: amplification and fader (there might be a better term for what it’s doing in scan processing but I don’t know it). Visual Cortex also is being used for a couple different functions (video input and H/V ramp generation). H/V ramp generation is built into gen3 modules that need it, so you might not need that function, but if you do need it separately for this process, you can use a DSG3 Dual Shape.

That said, some do have a fairly direct gen3 equivalent. The gen3 equivalent of Passage is Proc, and I think it can (probably?) be used the same way in that particular patch. I believe Chromagnon is going to have similar functions to Shape Changer and Navigator, though I think at least some of that functionality is also planned for ART3 Affine Morph. There’s been some talk about plans to make a module that will handle the attenuation/amplification aspect that Bridge did, but I don’t think there’s been anything solid yet.

I think that just leaves the fader portion of Bridge and the video input portion of Visual Cortex… I think the fader portion of Bridge could be attained with the FKG3 Keyer. And the video input of the Visual Cortex could be handled with the TBC2 or the Chromagnon (neither is currently released, though we’re all hoping they will be soon!).

Speaking of Chromagnon, there’s a pretty good possibility that the Chromagnon will be able to handle the entirety of Rutt-Etra style scan processing, all by itself with no other modules. I believe I heard that mentioned at some point – maybe someone can confirm. It definitely has several of the required functions built in (including x/y output!), and I wouldn’t be surprised if it also has the others. Assuming this is correct and Chromagnon will handle it all itself, this will definitely be the cheapest way to do it with new LZX gear.

(I should note that when writing this response, I was only considering LZX modules. There may be offerings from some other video module manufacturers that are available and can do some of these functions. If anyone knows of any, speak up, please.)

5 Likes