LZX Gen3 Modular Releases 2021-2022

so if you used a Topogram with a LFO as the input could you use the outputs to drive the transform CV for several ART-3s to make a multipoint transformation? Where each step would be set individually on an ART-3.

Is the dip switch on the front dealing with resolution/sync?

Yes, it is the same as one of the two DIP switches on the rear of Chromagnon, it selects the default video standard when the sync generator is free running. When sync is attached in the rear, ESG-3 will auto-detect and switch to the format of the rear sync input. Anything with a video IO on it in Gen3 will also be a sync generator module. Chromagnon and TBC2 work the same way.

So in other words, you only need to worry about the DIP switch setting on whichever module is the original sync source. Everything sync’ed downstream will auto-detect.

so if you used a Topogram with a LFO as the input could you use the outputs to drive the transform CV for several ART-3s to make a multipoint transformation? Where each step would be set individually on an ART-3.

Yes, definitely! Think of the ART-3 as a chainable vector transform bus, the same way that the FKG-3 can be chained as a multi-layer priority keyer. There will be other vector (polar to cartesian rotator, etc) and RGB workflow modules (porter-duff compositor), but these first two are meant to be universally powerful and flexible. That’s the common thread with this first set, is they establish a foundation of core, universal functions in a very high functional density per HP: oscillators, ramps, shapes, keyer, encoder, mixer.

So in designing a system with these modules, you can pursue concepts previously impossible – like having 14 VCOs or a 7-layer priority keyer in 84HP, for example.

4 Likes

Particularly excited about esg and art/dsg. Diver slowly became a central piece in my Patching, can’t wait to see it in combination with art.
And finally being be able to ditch my cadet encoder in favor of a more complex solution like esg-3 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diver, DSG-3 and ART-3 will indeed all work together really nicely! As they will with Chromagnon and Navigator/Shapechanger.

DSG-3 is effectively a “Quad Programmable Arch”… You feed it any two waveforms or ramps, and get a full range of programmable shapes/patterns out. If you don’t feed it anything, it uses its own ramps, so you can use it with the inputs unpatched as well (ART-3 works the same way.) It represents a cohesive output function module that I feel like was missing (or sparsely distributed) in Expedition series.

9 Likes

Amazing. Yes, plz! What magnitudes of shear can this do?

1 Like

The shear and scale functions (X to X, Y to Y, X to Y, Y to X) are CV inputs for 4x four quadrant multipliers with a 2Vpp input range. So they do a shear scale of up to 2x if you’re summing in some external modulation. If you want really high gain shearing, that might be a special module, an affine keyer or something.

4 Likes

A quibble:

While I am in principal in favor of a naming schema based on description of functionality, not sure I am much of a fan of then abbreviating said description. Especially when there is an “ESG” and a “DSG,” seems like it might always take a bit of mental unpacking to remember which module does what.

I assume this naming convention was at least somewhat based on limited panel real estate for labeling?

4 Likes

Puuh, looking forward and afraid my wallet will get hit hard!

Will there be something like a index which of the old modules will work in HD resolution?
Or is hd only important for ramps, osci and encoder who need sync to have to be “HD ready”? So most old modules will work?
Are there news on the diver firmwareupdate?

4 Likes

With how I patch, I’d preorder a DSG-3 right now. Ramps and Arch is a primary signal workflow for me.

I feel like I need to say something about the panel designs and naming: they’re maybe too far on the end of utilitarian. I know for some of these modules it’s a lot to convey in 12HP, but it’s lacking an approachability and, well, whimsy that I’ve seen in previous panel designs/module names. If you’re aiming for a more already-established video user, that’s fine (I sure can figure out what knob I need to turn to get what I want), but I’m not sure a new user (or a new-to-modular video user) would look at these and go “ah yes, clearly I need a DWO-3 in my setup”. Demo videos will help, I’m sure, but are all 26 of these going to get their own video manual?

2 Likes

Regarding the naming, I’m slightly disappointed they’re not as creative as Expedition range - where the module names fit in with the whole theme.

That said, wary I’m paraphrasing a very crude idiom, you don’t look at the module name when you’re plugging in jacks.

Shame the wooly mammoth and friends didn’t make it to the panel art :crazy_face:

Edit: MrDys posted at the same time - whimsy is a great word to describe it!

2 Likes

been wanting something ESG-3 to free the vidiot and create more outputs of my system to be sent so mixers and stuff. and i hope diver will finally get the much needed firmware update

5 Likes

Can I set up an account where my paycheck directly deposits into LZX bank?

7 Likes

wow wow wow! Solves many things and opens new pathways :slight_smile: What a wonderful surprise to wake up to today.I would certainly be interested in preordering any or all. Esg especially… ART, FKG… sheesh all of them especially hahaha

Onward & upward!

1 Like

haha - now I need to get a job!
I can see at least 4 of these in my future - dwo-fkg-dsg-art - probably, we’ll see… I think I’m going to have to hold out until at least next year when hopefully the pre-populated smd pcbs will be available…
is there any information regarding power draw?

2 Likes

I just love the whole patchable-deformation-matrix of this.

2 Likes

The modules have 3 letter acronyms as a reflection of our brand name itself: LZX. They are ID codes rather than names.

We had debated various names, but they were all shot down for being either too wordy (Video Fader & Luma / Chroma Key Generator) or not specific enough (Encoder, Keyer, etc) or weird in a bad/obfuscating way. Like I wanted to name the FKG-3 “Claviger”, but no one knows what that means. So in our team and focus group the consensus was a more minimal approach.

We’re going to focus documentation and promotion on small systems rather than the individual modules. So the sexy names will be for groups of modules in the documentation/videos rather than individual ones. It’s in the context of those named groups, like “Claviger Array” or “Op Art Menagerie” that the modules will be introduced and explained. We are planning to write a patch book rather than individual manuals this time, and videos will focus on the patches/systems. We’ll also offer bundled systems with the fun names.

I want to encourage people to see these modules as component pieces of something bigger – an arm, a leg, a kneecap – rather than a personality. They are building blocks. Together they form personalities – I don’t want to assign those personalities at the individual module level like we did with Expedition – I want the user to see them more as LEGO bricks they can build their own video instrument with, and then give that system their own name.

It’s good to know everyone’s having difficulty kind of differentiating the modules, though. Maybe there is something we can do to present it better. We’ve purchased a couple of the faceplates, but our supply chain is much more flexible there now. If anyone has second or additional opinions on this, I’d like to know. That’s part of why I’m making this post rather than staying quiet until launch day.

9 Likes

is there any information regarding power draw?

FKG-3 is 125mA on +12V, and I expect the others to vary between 100mA and 200mA.

They draw about the same or a little more than Expedition modules, on the +12V rail. There is no -12V draw at all, and they can all be powered via DC wall wart barrel (EuroRack power is optional on all of these.)

6 Likes

So does this mean rotation is included as a function of this module? I was a little unclear on that. I’m also curious if y’all have any price point in mind for the DIY options?

2 Likes

Just under 84hp with room for growth, gonna make for the most pure synthesis package yet. Just gimmie that new filter and we’ll be on our way!

3 Likes

Honestly, the first time I saw them, I didn’t think twice about the names. They made sense.

Only when coming back after more comments were in the thread and having to scroll up and down a bunch of times to remind myself which was which did I miss the somewhat arbitrary but more memorable names in the Expedition line.

4 Likes