LZX 3rd Generation: 2020 and beyond

Do you anticipate the new TVFKG having a soft key mode or is it too early to speculate?

1 Like

It’s likely there will be high gain setting on the new TVFKG for soft keying.

3 Likes

Actually I have been thinking about this and I guess having a mixer with a key generator on each channel would be useful/ interesting. I can’t wait to try the TVFKG 2

2 Likes

Is it too early to know if the other Automata devices will be in the same price range as the Chromagnon?

1 Like

I’d be surprised if any were significantly cheaper - they will all have i/o and complex functionality (so a large number of parts) + case, power etc

1 Like

$799 is an ambitiously low price point for what Chromagnon does! It’s likely the cost will be close to double for any 104HP Automatas, and stay similar for any 52HP Automatas. I’m unsure at this point if they will all be 52HP or not.

But definitely not any cheaper, if that’s the question. We do have another product series of standalone+modular $100-$300 devices we’ve been developing since last year as well, and will have more to say about that in the Summer.

6 Likes

It certainly wasn’t a question of them being cheaper. I think you guys are fantastic. I’ve pre-order the Chromagnon and believe that the future automata release will cost as low as feasibly possible. I was thinking about the best way for me to save up for them too.
I guess I was also considering the form factor too. I had notice that 52hp was half of 104hp :slight_smile:
Thank you for your response and keep up the amazing work.

2 Likes

So there’s gonna be a replacement for color chords? I’ve planned to buy some additional modules for my vidiot (passage,curtain,fortress and a diver is already scheduled for delivery) and put them in a 60 hp case (4ms).But to come at least close of having results like with an ems videosizer,i’d need modules like color chords and marble index.Hopefully they will both be available in near future?

As you can see mentioned above - the Color Chords and Marble Index won’t be directly replaced - there will be a RGB automata series module and a visionary mk2 Blending Matrix

and good luck with that case - I suspect it will be have noisy power which you will be able to see on screen - I’d check the recommended ones here if i were you

for example

this also see;s to be a problem with the 4ms power supplies

the cheapest recommended case would be a Doepfer LC6U which has the PSU3 or the Mantis - which are a bit more expensive - but will allow you more expansion room - which you will undoubtedly need - even if you don’t think you want it now

with the Mantis - you probably won’t be able to fill it completely with video modules* - but you can add non-video modules - I have Maths, Stages, Links and a Doepfer A-136 in mine with the rest filled with video modules and it works fine - quite a few “audio” eurorack modules work well with video - especially waveshapers and some filters and modulation sources - analog is usually best although I’ve had interesting results from a Befaco Chopping Kinky and Horstronic Waveslicer - both of which have atmegas from what I can remember - these can often work out cheaper than dedicated video modules

*you could run an Chromagnon or the RGB automata, yet to be officially announced, in it and power it from 9v though

2 Likes

Wow,marble index and color chords substitute in one automata instrument? I’m gonna place this unit on my desk beside the vidiot if it’s 52 units too like the chromagnon (the 62 hp intellijel case would be the biggest i have space left for on my desk)

The modules will go in a 84hp doepfer case and placed below my eurorack modular.

Damn,can’t wait for further details on the automata rgb instrument.

just watch out the 3u has a different psu iirc!!!

Yeah thanks for the heads up.There really isn’t a psu3 in the 3u case.

I put some video modules (Staircase, Doorway, Arch, Passage and Bridge) in a Pulp Logic LBZ54 case and did not see any noise, it performed as well as my doepfer 84hp 6u with psu3

I keep revisiting this thread, so just replying here to make it easier for me to find. Very useful! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Super excited for whatever will replace Visual Cortex’s mixing functions, as well as Marble Index. A next generation video mixer module is the last space reserved in my rig. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

i too am eagerly awaiting Marble Index v2 or whatever else comes around. Visual Cortex is an incredible workhorse to have around but there’s a deep yearning in my soul that only a Marble Index-ish thingamajig can satisfy.

@saiteron

this is the direct replacement the post talks about
that will be what you want

these could work out too
a matrix mixer is a good partner for something like color chords/marble index but have the opacity control/inputs is really fun. You could totally get away without it though

https://www.etsy.com/listing/766849455/matrix-mixer?ref=shop_home_active_1&frs=1&crt=1

this matrix mixer from reverselandfill is what I’d get if you really think you just can’t wait at all

the video calculator is also an option but really expensive (lots of different features packed together though)

3 Likes

thanks for the detailed reply! i’ve already looked at most of these options and i think i’m set on holding out for that RGB Automata instrument, whenever it may come… unless a Marble Index should find its way to me in the meantime :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Also can’t remember where I saw this so it might not be true, but If I remember correctly the others Automata will also be at least 52 hp (so around a 1000$) and I think Lars mentioned some of them could be up to 104 hp! So maybe around 2000$. If you are looking for a smaller/cheaper solution, you might be better with some previously mentioned options. But if you have the money and the rack space (actually don’t need the rack space bcause they are also standalone) I’m sure it’s going to be worth it!

3 Likes

…On another note, I am still absolultely looking forward to seeing this! Wonder if it had been integrated into Chromagnon or Diver already or will it see the light once as a standalone module?

6 Likes