How to spin (or rotate) a shape

Yes for sure. Arch is my favourite module by far. Can get a world of shape variations of out when using ramps. Also processing control signals can get some amazing results.

3 Likes

Cool! Iā€™m having a bit trouble understanding logic stuff in video synthesis. I just got the multi gate and love it but I guess arch is doing something entirely different to the signal.

2 Likes

I got Photoshop 3.0 at 8 years old and itā€™s been a continual source of inspiration! A lot of the work on Expedition series is from looking at the way computer graphics evolved from analog computing, and then figuring out ways to do the next level of analog by emulating a lot of the computer graphics workflows. For example, Shapechanger + Navigator perform a lot of the same math youā€™ll find in any 2D graphics engine, only they do it with analog computing circuitry. Marble Index (and Cortex Compositor) perform a lot of the same blending modes math youā€™ll find behind Photoshop or more robust digital compositing suites, only they likewise do it with analog circuitry. Most of the design challenge has been on how to take these functions and present them in a patchable hardware way, UI wise, and design analog circuits that do the math.

7 Likes

Arch is my favorite too, You should see what you can do with four :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Speaking from experience, the best way to augment MP is with a solid analog synthesis setup behind it. It is a ground breaking module, but to truly exploit itā€™s power feed it the best material. It will do really cool things with live video input and still frames, but IMO where it really shines is as an integral part of diverse system. That said, you can do some awfully cool stuff with just a Vidot and an MP :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And now Iā€™m completely off topic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Even though I have a Shapechanger, these patches are very educational. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes, thanks! Every little trick helps. Iā€™m at the stage now where Iā€™m looking for new layers to add to a patch, and Iā€™ll look to any modules that are as-yet-unused-in-this-patch to do this.

1 Like

Big bump!

Iā€™m playing about trying to rotate some shapes with mostly 4HP Cadet and other DIY modules, does anyone have a nice block diagram for simple shape rotation?

2 Likes

Iā€™ll draw up a diagram in a minute.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know who did these or recall where I got them (probably here), but I have some useful images. Iā€™ll see if I can upload them.

[EDIT]

Sorry, every upload attempt fails.

Ahh, yes. From another forum, years earlier, a diagram of basic Rutt Etra. Now I need to find the source for the other image, a diagram illustrating the rotations using phase quadrature.

1 Like

Note that there are some exceptions ā€“ for example, the ā€œCROSSā€ switch on Navigator inverts one of the Sin/Cos outputs, so that one output rotates the opposite direction from the other (creating a kind of perspective morph rather than a rotation.) In other words, there are lots of fun ways to patch it up, which are similar to but not the exact same as the textbook rotation formula.

2 Likes

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIAkBDlhfxZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That is just one third of the patching required to do it!

5 Likes

Cheers @sprthhfk for posting the 2nd picture in particular. I was aware of the first & I found that it helped or worked but was a lot of modules just to perform a rotation, especesially how the Prismatic Ray was used.
The 2nd image makes so much sense but if someone doesnā€™t have an Arch, the top right corner (2x recitifier) can be done with a Syntonie VU-002 or Staircase just dialled a fraction. But how about the top left of Arch? Itā€™s the min output function under the two inputs.

1 Like

The prismatic ray is not necessary for the basic action of spinning a shape. The patch notes i posted were showing how to recreate the effect in the videos i had posted along with them.
You can remove the final part of the patch after arch and bridge for a basic spinning shape patch. The Prismatic Ray was just used for the spinning lines that were overlaid over the main spinning shape part of the patch.

2 Likes

Cheers for clarifying that @destroythings :+1:t3:
I was just gotten a bunch of Expedition modules at the time I tried it so I most likely messed up a part of the patch before it hit the Prismatic Ray.
Iā€™m glad to see youā€™re still on here & that this thread you created is still relevant & of interest to people on here :grinning:
Iā€™m still minus a Shapechanger so itā€™s most definitely relevant to me :sweat_smile:

2 Likes