2022-07-13 00-32-30
2022-07-13 00-37-54

• Result over Feedback, as before, and combined with Source

2022-07-13 00-43-58
2022-07-13 00-43-18

• Rotation of Subject

rotate3

TLDR:

• This example is meant to use visual references to raise questions about video processes while avoiding answers about patching techniques.
  • In this example, I have used combination of stroke types, application of signage, basic compositing, and colorization of feedback as a style outline.
  • I am interested in using video processes to organize and develop elements of style. I am hoping to stimulate forum activity related to tool use and signal flow in the context of asset generation.

14 Likes

I think that hits all the marks 1-4

Wish grandma’s wallpaper looked like that!

3 Likes

Outline:

• Noise

• Oscillator #1

• Oscillator #2

• Decoded Luma

• Stroke #1

• Decoded RGB

• Color

• Signage

• Stroke #2

Combination of Strokes:

• Result over Color:

• Result over Color, Stroke #2 Adjustment, Oscillator #2 > Signage

• Result over Color, Oscillator #2 > Color

• Result over Color, Stroke #2 Adjustment, Oscillator #2 and Noise > Signage

rotate1

• Alternate Colorization

rotate2_recolor

• Result and Introduction of Feedback

recolor3_fb3

wuvuxlzx-bump

9 Likes

Fantastic documentation, thank you for this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I am hoping to stimulate activity and sharing of visual ideas with other users stemming from what has been collected here. The topic title and category are meant to point towards questions that we might consider as a group:

• How can we generate elements of style?
  • What work processes assist in presenting visual information within a style outline?
  • What types of video phenomena are usable and reproducible when working this way?
  • How can a patch or process generate assets that are interrelated but not the same?
6 Likes

Some more questions to consider…

• What are the video synthesis elements of style?

For example, Strunk & White’s Elements of Style says “the elements of style have been conceptualized to be the textual attributes associated with clarity in communications.” How would we define the equivalent of that, for our practice in video art?

For us, does this look like a list of abstract concepts related to common processes? For example: regions, positioning of regions, color, pattern density, motion, etc.? Can we say that any video synthesis patch is going to involve the presence (or explicit absence) of all of the items in a list like this?

If we do that, then we can naturally divide things up that way. For example, “In this patch, my positioning element was to provide a quadrature LFO to the main figure. For color, I used a 3X3 matrix mix. Primary foreground and background regions were created from a luma key of the input camera, and the texture of the foreground figure was derived from the camera image itself.”

With a common “elements of video synthesis style” lexicon, it becomes possible to describe a process using language that’s independent of specific tools or IO, but still directly related to the tools we’re using.

2 Likes

Good question!

• For me, elements of style exist on a spectrum that spans a wide variety of use cases.
  • I think this span situates underneath a clearly defined outcome.

For example,

I would like to prepare a 12 page video art magazine. But there are so many ways to to do this! I don’t have time to produce a variety of full 12 page mock ups before printing, so I think I will rough out a page or two in a variety of different styles! I don’t have time to design each by hand, how can I use video processes to help me out?!

• The outcome in the example is at one end of the spectrum where a short working session with a beer in hand might exist at the other.

• To simplify matters, I think any given working session, project, or season of work can make use of style outlines.

• For us as artists a style outline can be used to guide process and develop tool competency by conforming output to a self generated standard.

Put plainly, I think elements of style in the context of this topic are predictable parameters that one would like to study by reliably incorporating them into their work over any period of time, from a sketching session to a portfolio push.

The conditions you have outlined, regions, positioning of regions, color, etc. are all great examples of the utility of nomenclature to guide one’s navigation of the infinity of possibilities presented by the instrument. It goes without saying we can and must explore the development of our own individual nomenclature when outlining any given style.

In the context of this thread, I am interested in discussion and sharing that explores what types of processes and patches support the style ideas of other users producing interrelated assets.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 8.50.13 PM

& LONG LIVE LZX!

4 Likes

I see what you mean now – I was thinking in terms of the “Elements of Style”, such as in the common textbook for writers. Whereas I think what you mean is more in kin with stylesheets and style guides, such as used in websites or design templates.

For an example, here’s how I set up the style template for a Gen3 frontpanel design. I have a template file that includes every variation I wish to create using different artboards in an Adobe Illustrator composition:

This helps keep all the artwork for a single project inside a single file, and then when I’m ready to make a new design – all my style elements can be reapplied quickly and easily to the new project:

3 Likes

Outline:

• Source #1

• Source #2

• Blending Sources

• Stroke #1

• Stroke #2

• Blending Strokes

• Result over Oscillator

• Colorization and Signage Treatment

wuvuxlzx-bump

6 Likes