Diver Firmware

Have you all considered open sourcing the firmware, so the firmware fluent heads in community could try custom upgrades? It seems like it’s going to be awhile until @creatorlars or the future firmware employee can deal with it.

2 Likes

Are you volunteering? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

lol, wish I could, not really a coder. But I’m hoping those coder folks are out there in the community :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I have zero problems with open sourcing this and other projects, it’s just about the time it takes to write build instructions for the project, clean up the repositories, and document the tools required. In that time, I can probably be half way to a firmware revision. We’ll be back to Diver soon now, the firmware update will come in the wake of the TBC2 release.

10 Likes

I am so excited that we are on the cusp of TBC2 getting into systems.
We just got the shipping notification for our first DSG we are so pumped!

4 Likes

If you were to just push one or more repositories, whatever their current state, as an on-again-off-again professional FPGA and embedded developer I am 100% willing to wing it, and write documentation. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only LZX user with the skillset and inclination to hack some Orion firmware / gateware. Exciting possibilities for alt firmware as well.

11 Likes

That is all good to know!

2 Likes

Ouch. I thought there was going to be a Diver mk2, similar to Memory Palace mk2, with support for HD timings. But when Diver disappeared from the LZX home page, I suspected something was up.

Looks like a fantastic module, and hope there will be a Gen3 equivalent.

3 Likes

Yes, this is what I’m talking about :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :vulcan_salute:
Excuses about how much @creatorlars has on his plate are not helping us as a community trying to enjoy this companies modules. Open source the firmwares for user modifications!

1 Like

If anyone decides they want to sell a Diver drop me a message, UK based

1 Like

Does this mean that there will not be a firmware update for Diver? Was looking forward to the HD ramps and several of the other features that were discussed.

There will be a firmware update, but HD sync may not be possible.

4 Likes

This is one of the reasons why I have no use for HD video hardware. I’m only interested in downscaling HD to SD. It may be years before I can consider using HD, if I ever do. I’m still interested in the firmware update, of course. I simply never expected or wanted HD support for Diver, so this news doesn’t affect me at all.

Thanks.

1 Like

This is just one module that doesn’t support HD. And it’s because it’s digital. Basically all of the analog modules work fine at HD timings. The worst that can happen is that things go a little soft in the horizontal dimension.

True, the main reason I have no use for HD is because I’d need an ESD that generates signals I can capture, and such a module is not yet available. However, Diver is the one module I have now that uses a composite sync signal. So I have a good reason to keep my VC, which cannot do HD.

I’m at the point now where I must decide which modules to sell to pay for Gen3 modules.

HD support in Diver could’ve been an argument for HD. Without that support, that’s one less argument on the plus side. Budget constraints are a huge argument on the minus side.

So it makes sense for me to use SD only for the forseeable future.

The firmware update is still a priority for me.

HD is nice, however I am capable of doing a lot more in SD at the moment (with Diver and especially with Memory Palace). I scale the SD signals up to HD with a Decimator. I’m happy with the results.

Diver definitely needs an update. The x axis is offset when fully up or down. It is crucial to put the diver right after the Visual Cortex in the sync chain. All the other problems I had noticed with the module disappeared once I set up the sync chain like that.

2 Likes

I’m gonna be honest and some of you are like ‘pro’ with HD. For me I’m not shooting anything in HD/4K so just manipulating SD and/or upscaling is good enough. I’m just looking forward to TBC2 release at the moment and integration with SD stuff??? I’d like all focus on TBC2 release so everything after follows suit.

2 Likes

Excited to see what can happen with the firmware updates!

currently my diver does sync with HD, however it only syncs the V ramps, the H ramps are a horrible scrolling mess, so it sorta works fine, but its just very limited now that its only 1 set of ramps

2 Likes

Have Shapechanger and Navigator been confirmed to work in HD?!

Shapechanger has no sync connection so format timing is irrelevant, it will just work.

Navigator’s sync connection is just to avoid frame tearing during rotation. You could run it without a sync connection and the X/Y position controls will work just fine at any timing.

It’s possible that Navigator can detect the sync pulses out from other timings than NTSC/PAL to work correctly during auto-rotation but that just needs to be methodically tested rather than guessed at.

4 Likes