All About Keychain

Keychain is a triple hard key generator. Using voltage comparators with a 7ns response time, this module can generate sharp edged stencil shapes from any video or pattern generator source.

LZX Gen3 Design Standards

• Long lifespan pots, jacks and mechanical switches.
  • Active switching and gain control of the entire signal path.
  • Integrated ultra low noise power supplies.
  • Powered via 12V DC barrel or EuroRack power header.
  • Mounting depth 32mm max, with either power option installed.

Specifications

• 8HP EuroRack Module
  • Max Depth: 32mm
  • Power +12V @ 110mA

Videos

Coming soon…

Other Resources

6 Likes

How different is the Keychain to the Cadet Hard Key? Would be great to see an A/B if someone has both! I’m assuming the Gen3 improvements to power supply will make a big difference as Cadet Hard Key is quite susceptible to power supply noise, shorter response time (7ns vs 20ns) can’t hurt either.

4 Likes

Functionally speaking, Keychain is equivalent to three Cadet Hard Keys, save the additional inverted output on the Cadet. The key should accurately follow the input voltage in terms of noise – it’s own circuit runs on very clean power, but if there is a noisy signal on the input it may still become part of the key.

7 Likes

Why isn’t Keychain’s input/output jacks in RGB colors like Proc and Matte? :thinking:

1 Like

My understanding of Keychain, as described by Nick on the regular LZX Twitch Channel streams of late, is intended to be 3 seperate hard keyers. I’ve just taken a closer look at the image & the CV inputs as well as the key inputs are normalised which means some interesting patching & creative outputs are more than possible: One diamond Ramp at Key1 with 3 different animation or video rate signals going into the 3 CV inputs with the 3 outputs split between a Visual Cortex channel’s input & one or two other processing chains before going to the other channel of VC.

5 Likes

That’s an interesting question, we talked about it some. There are two reasons for the color overprint on Gen3 modules:

#1 is identifying Red, Green & Blue color channels to indicate there’s some RGB specific function at play.
#2 is to color code the jack layout to make it easier on the eyes in a dense patch.

So for example, with Stairs, the inputs are in RGB colors because there is an RGB to Luma summing function behind them. We call this a “Luma to RGB to Luma Input”. The other place you find them is on all 3x inputs of FKG3. The other place where colors are RGB specific is ESG3, where the inputs correspond directly to output colors.

Modules where the color overprint is used beyond that, are cases where we felt like it would be useful as a visual patching aid: so jack heavy, matrix heavy, or utility functions: SMX3, Sum/Dist, Proc, for example. These modules would all “work” as monochrome panels, but we went with RGB as a default.

With Contour and Keychain, they aren’t tied to an RGB workflow specifically, so that’s why putting color on them didn’t really register to us.

The only real area you need to be aware of RGB as a patching concept are specifically the Luma to RGB to Luma inputs (FKG3, Stairs) and direct RGB parameters (ESG3.)

I’m interested in opinions on this, Gen3 is meant to be an evolving system, with things like variant panels in our future at some point.

9 Likes

Thank you, @creatorlars :pray:
I love hearing the stories behind your product design.
The Gen3’s panel design/layout seems to be well thought out, as is the pcb design and component selection…
The 12HP modules have 4 jacks and 3 knobs per row, and the 8HP modules have 3 jacks and 2 knobs per row.
In the Eurorack world, many people seem to prefer modules with smaller HP and high functionality, but its design is not easy to operate.
By carefully selecting the functions and knobs, the Gen3 maintains excellent operability while realizing a smaller HP, which I am impressed with.
I’m looking forward to seeing how Gen3’s noise/random generator and advanced filter module will be designed. :blush:

7 Likes