All About FKG3 Keyer

My Keyer arrived yesterday, but i just made it to the post box this evening. super excited to read the recent posts, updates, andcatch up in general. Can’t wait to populate this into the proteus and see what happens ;}

6 Likes

This looks great! Thanks for the head’s-up in the MW forum! Just put in my pre-order!

2 Likes

This looks amazing!

I’m a noob to video synthesis, but have a ton of graphics experience, eurorack, and some basic electronics as well. I’ve watched the demos several times and think I have a good grasp of the concepts.

I’m wondering if this could be a good way to get started. I would be playing recorded videos for background, foreground, and key and recording the results. Would the FKG3 Keyer work standalone? Or would I need other modules to get started? I’m assuming that I would need to convert the playback from HDMI into component on the input side and the output results from component to whatever format I will eventually record in.

Thanks to all in advance!

1 Like

This Gen3 Primer should help.

You’ll definitely need some other modules to get started. The absolute minimum required would be an Encoder module, just to get a video signal. Everything else in an LZX system is video rate or lower, but definitely not a video signal general video gear will recognise.

Thanks a bunch for the help! Its starting to make sense a little at a time. If I understand correctly, the ESG3 encoder will accept the output from the FKG3 keyer as input and the result is YPbPr. Will I need the opposite (?decoder) to convert to input into the FGK3? I was thinking that I could convert HDMI to YPbPr to input for background, foreground, and key. Sorry for the noob questions!

2 Likes

Two issues with external video inputs–you need them to be synchronous and they need to be decoded into the 1V LZX standard. Currently there are no available new modules to do this but TBC2 will be able to handle this problem nicely. External hardware can solve this in some cases (link) but can be clunkier. You’d still be missing the necessary encoder until at least ESG-3 comes out.

Check these threads out, too:

3 Likes

Thanks again for the help! I will noodle on this a bit and come up with a wish list. It seems like I will need to get a critical mass before I can get cooking! Similar to eurorack, need a build a basic set before anything good comes out of it.

2 Likes

Maybe consider starting with a Chromagnon and build out a system from there.

3 Likes

That’s sounds like a good plan. Chromagnon, Keyer, and TCB2 for additional inputs. I’ve got a lot to learn, but it is slowly sinking in!

3 Likes

I have a vidiot, and two memory palaces, so just enough outputs to use this thing proper. And it is great! Looking forward to having a 4th RGB source with Chromagnon. And eventually more when Gen3 updates of prismatic ray and color chords can get in my system, been waiting patiently since 2019 for those. Maybe this year?

1 Like

I’m still trying to wrap my head around all of this as a newbie. I don’t own any video modules yet. My goal is to have three input videos for the FKG3 Keyer: background, foreground, and key. So if I get a Chromagnon and TCB2 that will allow me to get the three inputs. Then run them into the FKG3 to do the keying. I think I will need an ESG3 Encoder to send the results out for recording. Is this correct? Thanks to all!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s correct.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch! Now I get to make the funding pitch to the CFO (wife)!

probably don’t need the esg - the chromagnon has an encoder - and you should be able to patch back into that for output…

4 Likes

Can you use the Chromagnon decoder and encoder sections independently? I’m not sure. I can’t see where independent inputs to the encoder section can be patched, but perhaps I missed something. How can this be done?

Anyway, my earlier post was refering to a minimal two-module system, FKG3 and ESG3 only. If I understand correctly, that will generate a video signal, but it won’t do much else without additional modules - which need not be LZX. Obviously Boneoh is looking for something more functional, but I was answering this:

Would the FKG3 Keyer work standalone? Or would I need other modules to get started?

Another small point: it looks like ESG3 will be released before Chromagnon. I recommend getting which ever module is released first. Maybe consider buying more than one Chromagnon, or any other module that gets you closer to the system you want.

2 Likes

well to some extent we’ll have to wait and see - but I suspect there will be someway to get the input out from the chromagnon for processing and then back into the chromagnon for viewing - there’s definitely some sort of compositor…

good point about the availability of esg v chromagnon though - but note it may still be a wait for both and for the tbc2, for that matter - in the long run it may be worthwhile waiting until all are actually available before deciding on what exactly is needed

2 Likes

LOL I guess there are some unsolved mysteries! My current plan is to get a Chromagnon, TBC2, FKG3, and ESG3 as my starter video rack components. Hopefully will be placing the order this coming week.

Thanks to all for the input!

2 Likes

cool - worst case scenario is you decide you don’t need the ESG3 - and end up selling it - but you shouldn’t take more than a 20% hit so you can just see it as ‘rental’ - if you are wanting to start asap - then it’s exactly what I would do… have fun…

do you have other eurorack modular synthesis modules? you might find you want some modulation (and attenuation if they’re not video modules)

1 Like

Yes, I will be getting the ESG3 and the mixer, too. I rarely sell modules, I’ve seen too many posts by folks that regret selling.

I have a 12U rack of audio that I’ve built up, I started almost five years ago. I’m really having fun, and it sure keeps me out of trouble since I retired. The quality of the ‘music’ is dubious at best!

Here is a link to my rack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1763382

1 Like

hahaha - I know what you mean - I’ve never sold one module - in 6 years… I’ve barely sold anything, ever, other than a couple of beginner guitars I had 40+ years ago and 3 electric guitars and a bass to fund my 1st video synth modules… don’t worry, I still have 3 electric guitars, an acoustic and a bass!

no wave folder in your rack? - I can honestly say I love the doepfer ones - for processing video - also the wasp and lpg…

1 Like